ARTIST

The Wall

112 x 145.5 cm
Oil on canvas

선화랑 SUN GALLERY
이만나
Man Na LEE
작가 전시이력 Exhibition History

2019 먼 봄 (선화랑, 서울)2017 Facade (통인 옥션 갤러리, 서울)2014 눈 밤 (이유진 갤러리, 서울)2012 Reflection (영은 미술관, 경기도 광주)2012 성 (갤러리 현대 윈도우 갤러리, 서울)

작가설명

이만나 작가는 익숙한 작품 속 대상인데 낯선 거리감, 더 나아가 경외감이 느껴지며 깊은 사색을 이끌어낸다. 작가의 작품을 그냥 피상적으로 보면 대상을 보이는 모습 그대로 표현한 구상적, 사실주의적 작품인 것으로 보이지만 자꾸만 무언가를 생각하게 만드는 것이 기존의 구상회화와 확연히 다르게 느껴진다. 물감 뿌리기, 흘리기 및 붓질의 연속적 반복, 누적에 의하여 사물을 형상화하는 작가의 작업은 결코 쉽게 만들어낼 수 있는 것이 아니라 수많은 시간과 고뇌를 필요로 하는 것이다.

평론가 박영택 선생님의 말씀처럼, 이만나 작가의 그림은 ‘특정 대상의 그 이면을, 세계의 내부를, 자신의 속을 뒤집어 보여준다.' 작가는 자신이 평소에 마주하는 '외부 세계'를 '관습이 아닌 그것 자체로 생생하게 접촉할 때 생기는 생소함'을 그리고자 하였다. ‘사실을 그리면서 그 사실이 가리고 있는 부분을 드러내기를’ 바라지만 실상 사물의 이면은 사실로 존재하지 않으며 오직 느낌으로만 있을 뿐’이라는 작가의 말에서 이해할 수 있듯이 작가의 작업은 상당한 고민이 필요한 작업이다.

Artist Description

The objects in the work were very familiar, but I felt a curious sense of distance and, moreover, an awe, invoking deeper contemplation. On the surface, Manna Lee’s work seemed to be figurative and realistic, rendering the object as it had been seen through the artist’s gaze. But it kept on reminding me of something, which was the distinct feature that made Lee’s work stand apart from other representational paintings I was familiar with. Further, the process of shaping objects by spraying and dropping the paints and by successive repetition and accumulation of brushstrokes is not easy, but requires a lot of time and distress. As the critic Young-taek Park mentioned, Manna Lee’s paintings “show us the other side of a specific object, the inside of the world, and the inside of himself.” The artist attempted to depict the “unfamiliarity that arises from the vivid contact with the external world as it is” rather than from a traditional perception with which he encounters the world in daily life.
“I want to paint reality to reveal the aspects that are hidden behind it, but in fact, the other side of things does not exist; it can only exist in our feelings.” From this comment from the artist, we can understand that his work comes from a place of painstaking effort and anguish.