Mee Young KIM
작가 전시이력 Exhibition History

2019 Summer Hill, 노블레스 컬렉션, 서울
2018 Painted Painting, 갤러리 기체, 서울
2017 Wet on Wet, 이화익갤러리, 서울
2016 Sunlight House, 레스빠스71, 서울
2015 both Sides Now, 스페이스 챕터투, 서울

작가설명

김미영은 1984년생으로 이화여대 동양화과와 동대학원을 졸업한 후, 영국 런던 왕립예술대학교에서 회화전공으로 대학원을 마쳤다. 유화의 강렬한 색이 춤추는 듯한 붓터치로 사각의 캔버스를 가득 채우는 작업은 한국으로 돌아온 이후에도 꾸준히 이어지고 있다. 2013년 유학 당시 기차 창밖에 빠르게 지나가는 풍경을 보던 작가는 철조망을 뒤덮은 장미정원 너머로 보이는 환상적인 풍경에 강하게 매료되었다. 창문 한가득 채워져 빠르게 지나가는 풍성한 색깔의 기억은 작업의 모티브가 되었으며 자연스레 캔버스에 옮겨졌다. 당시 창문 너머의 철조망은 작가에게 건너가려해도 넘어설 수 없는 경계와 같은 느낌으로 다가왔는데, 이제 사각의 캔버스가 그 벽 너머의 새로운 세상으로 이어주는 통로와 같은 역할을 하게 되었다. 벽면에 조용히 걸려 자신을 바라보는 캔버스는 작가에게 새로운 작업을 시작하기에 앞서 새하얗게 서있는 두꺼운 벽과 같으면서도, 그 사각 프레임을 통해 현실과는 다른 자신만의 환상적인 세상으로 들어갈 수 있는 문과 같은 존재이기도 하다.

Artist Description

Meeyoung KIM, born in 1984, graduated from Ewha Womans University majored oriental painting and the same graduate school, and then graduated from the Royal College of Arts in London with a major in painting. “I regard the canvas surface as a performative path connected to a different dimension transferring synesthetic imagery by articulating moods or fragments of memory onto the canvas. These are based on past experiences of diverse nature be they auditory, palatal, tactile etc. It is as though sensorial experience(e.g. a soft flavor, fresh air, or and enjoyable occasion) unravels in front of us. I experiment with various techniques on the painterly surface like applying the paint thin or thick, dense or loose, drawing a line, or dripping, scraping, or wiping paint to name several. I try to juxtapose colors intermingle on the canvas, adding a rhythmic quality to its overall form. Focusing on “how to apply paint” rather than “what to paint”, I prioritize the act of painting and fill picture plane in a swift and intuitive manner.”